Sunday 8 December 2013

First head bust process


Beginning of creating my character in 3D I used the package Zbrush to help create my character. I will be using the tutorials from digital tutors to help me create and design my Character. The tutorial I am looking into is 'High-resolution game character creation pipeline in Zbrush and Maya’.

This tutorial will help guide me to building my character using Zbrush which I then will retopologize in another program called Topogun, before bringing my character into Maya. This will overall help create the right amount of polygons for both the low and high resolution characters specified on the brief.

So here I began to practice sculpting the characters face following the digital tutor’s tutorial to understand how to create such a realistic face. The series of images shows the process of sculpting out my characters head. By starting off with a basic sphere I used a powerful tool call the ‘Move tool’ to establish the basic shape and form of the head.


Knowing that my character will be wearing some kind of head gear I didn't focus too much on his ears or the back of the head. I proceeded to use the ‘Clay tube brush’ to start laying down muscle layers using reference from Anatomy books to establish muscles on the face. Once I was pleased with the placement of the muscles I used the ‘dam standard brush’ to start creating varies wrinkles and definite lines on the face.


In the final image I Used the move tool to adjust proportion and certain parts of the face. I also turned of symmetry and subtly moved some facials features of the model. I wanted to create an asymmetric face because in reality no one’s face is symmetrical. By doing this it will make my character more realistic and defined. By this stage I was ready to apply skin.


To do this I changed the brush settings to spray with an alpha texture and proceeded to cover the face with pores which really helped blend in the muscles and create a realistic face. After this process I felt quite comfortable creating human like skin and also knowing the structure of the face.
I was also able to gain knowledge of the process of building up the wrinkles with the 'clay tube brush' and 'dam standard brush'  to establish the illusion of age.


I’m not sure if I want to use this specific head as it was my first practice on a head bust. But overall I am pleased with the result of creating the face as I wanted to create and elderly being and i felt i have achieved this by following the tutorial in digital tutors. I will now proceed with the rest of the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment